Highest standards for all projects.
Climate Austria supports only high-quality climate protection projects in Austria and around the world. Rigorous principles apply.
Investments in high-quality projects
For CO2 offsetting, Climate Austria offers a unique portfolio of Austrian and international climate protection projects. The focus lies on renewable energy, energy efficiency, and the transition to renewable energy sources.
We carefully select our projects to guarantee that your funds will only go to projects that help prevent emissions. In addition, we favor projects that have other positive ecological and socio-economic side effects.
For detailed information about our project portfolio, please see our annual report.
Climate Austria uses your contribution to support innovative, reputable, and high-quality climate protection projects in Austria.
With your contribution, Climate Austria supports international climate protection projects that make a positive contribution to sustainable development in the respective country.
For the evaluation of Austrian climate protection projects, we use criteria that correspond to the standard for environmental support developed by the Federal Ministry of Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation and Technology. We assess these projects following the guidelines for environmental support used in Austria. They are described in the Environmental Support Act, the Guidelines for Domestic Environmental Support, and in information sheets (www.umweltfoerderung.at/detailinfo).
Furthermore, Climate Austria requires additional standards:
- The extent of the reduction must be clearly and unequivocally attributable to the project.
- Support by Climate Austria is the driving factor behind the project's implementation.
- The time span in which emission reductions are to be achieved by the project must be clearly defined.
The time span for calculating the reduced or avoided greenhouse gas emissions is based on the technical life span of the project in question. CO2 emissions to be offset must be compensated with reductions achieved from projects. In contrast to our international project portfolio, Climate Austria does not generate "tradeable" emission reduction units.
Contributions are always paid out after the project has been implemented, ensuring that no financial risk is incurred. All Austrian projects are supported exclusively by Climate Austria. KPC ensures that avoided greenhouse gases are used for CO2 offsetting. Financial support conditions correspond to the conditions of environmental support in Austria. As a result, there is no competition between government and private support programs. Contributions made through Climate Austria supplement government budgets and do not displace them.
For all four standards listed above, project benefits and quality are evaluated and certified by independent institutions. The following project categories are eligible:
- Energy source transition in power generation plants and production facilities to renewable energy sources or from high-carbon energy sources to low-carbon energy sources, especially at existing district heating plants
- Construction (or retrofitting) of power generation plants operated with renewable energy sources (in particular wind power plants, biogas or biomass CHP, hydropower plants and photovoltaic plants)
- Projects whose purpose is the prevention or (energy) recovery of landfill gas
- Waste management activities that contribute to the avoidance of greenhouse gas emissions, in particular through energy recovery from waste, taking waste heat utilization into account wherever possible
- Projects designed to reduce energy consumption in residential buildings, public and private service buildings as well as industrial applications and processes (including waste heat potential). This includes switching to LED and the use of efficient "cooking stoves."
- Construction (or retrofitting) of combined heat and power plants
Voluntary contributions are paid after GS VER, VCS, or CERs have been delivered. The delivery of GS VER, VCS, or CERs is made to the accounts of KPC, which are used exclusively for this purpose. Delivered emission reductions are used only once for the purpose of CO2 compensation as agreed with the client. Delivered emission reductions are appropriately documented, invalidated, and ultimately removed from trade or any further use.